Health

Coronavirus symptoms: Mum felt 'lifetime of pain' at the thought of losing her teenage son

Calling NHS 111, his concerned mum was advised to bring George to Barnsley General Hospital.

Testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), the doctors became aware that George’s blood pressure was “dangerously low”.

The married mum-of-three recalled: “His heart and lungs weren’t working properly. They said he had toxic shock sepsis.”

What is toxic shock sepsis?

The NHS stated: “Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins.”

Educational charity Sepsis Alliance confirmed that it’s usually caused by Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria.

And that an infection can lead to sepsis and septic shock. it can also result from an infection with pneumonia – a serious complication of coronavirus.

An X-ray revealed a “fog” on George’s chest, and so the young boy was rushed off to Leeds General Infirmary to be seen by a team of cardiologists.

READ MORE: Kawasaki disease now affecting ADULTS as well as children, health experts say

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close