Scotland’s feud with World Rugby has intensified after the SRU questioned whether the tournament organisers have any right to charge them over the typhoon row.
World Rugby have convened a hearing of its independent disputes committee to decide whether the SRU’s “comments and behaviours” over the possible cancellation of the storm-threatened Japan match had been a breach of rules.
Had the game been called off, it would have been declared a draw and Scotland would have been knocked out.
As it turned out, Hagibis did not hit Yokohama as bad as predicted and the match was able to proceed as planned.
But it turned out to be a miserable night for the Scots as they lost 28-21 to the Brave Blossoms and exited the Rugby World Cup.
The Scots are not taking World Rugby’s decision to convene a hearing of its independent disputes committee lying down.
“Following receipt of correspondence yesterday from World Rugby, Scottish Rugby confirms that it has received a notice of complaint from Rugby World Cup Ltd. Scottish Rugby is querying whether the matter is an appropriate one for the bringing of misconduct charges,” said an SRU spokesman.
“If misconduct proceedings are to proceed, Scottish Rugby looks forward to receiving a fair hearing in this matter. No further comment would be appropriate at this time.”
SRU chief executive Mark Dodson attacked World Rugby’s inflexibility over rescheduling the game had it been called off because of Typhoon Hagibis and threatened possible court action.
He also questioned publicly whether the tournament organisers would have treated other nations in the same way.
“We’ve referred to the independent disputes committee the comments and behaviours of the Scottish Rugby Union. On that basis it’s probably inappropriate to comment any further,” said World Rugby chief operating officer Alan Gilpin.
The death toll from the storm rose to 74 on Wednesday.