President Donald Trump will address the nation from the Lincoln Memorial July 4, officials confirmed Wednesday — an appearance expected to reshape the traditional Independence Day celebration.
But officials said it will also bring a host of new security and logistical challenges, The Washington Post reported.
U.S. Park Police spokesman Sgt. Eduardo Delgado confirmed Trump plans to speak at the memorial, the Post reported.
His agency is now working with the White House to determine the logistics.
“It’s still kind of an evolving event,” Delgado told the Post.
National Park Service spokesman Mike Litterst declined to give details of the rebranded celebration. Trump and White House officials are calling it “A Salute to America.”
Trump first announced his plans to speak July 4 in a tweet in February.
“We understand the federal government is moving forward . . . but we do not have details beyond that and urge the federal government to make that information public,” said LaToya Foster, a Bowser spokeswoman, told the Post.
Kim Dine, a former assistant D.C. police chief and a former chief of the U.S. Capitol Police, said the president’s changes to the celebration will complicate what had been a well-choreographed event.
“Managing large crowds is doable but difficult,” Dine told the Post. “And when you have the added challenge of VIP presence, or POTUS presence, and the massive amount of security that attends to him, that adds significantly to the whole equation.”
Public presidential appearances are rare in Washington for security reasons, the Post noted, reporting no president has been part of a Fourth of July celebration on the Mall in recent memory.
© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.