THREE international footballers have been sent home in disgrace from a top tournament after reportedly romping with hookers in the wake of a 4-0 defeat.
Nicaragua boss Henry Duarte has axed the trio from his 23-man squad at the CONCACAF Gold Cup after catching them with the women at the team hotel.
Marlon Lopez, Carlos Montenegro and Carlos Chavarria had earlier taken part in the Central American side’s thrashing by Costa Rica.
The Nicaraguan FA announced: “We have decided to expel the three players for serious breaches of discipline.
“They took place on the night of Sunday June 16, just four hours after our game.
“Nicaragua will now compete at the Gold Cup with just 20 players.”
The alleged events took place in San Jose, Costa Rica – one of the Gold Cup’s three host nations alongside the USA and Jamaica.
Embarrassed coach Duarte is himself a Costa Rican national.
The 60-year-old fumed: “The hotel security woke me at 1am, and showed me a video of various players entering their rooms.
“I couldn’t tell from the CCTV who they were, but the security people identified them as Chavarria, Montenegro and Lopez.
PACK YOUR BAGS
“I told Montenegro and Chavarria to pack their bags and said they were out of the Gold Cup squad.
“The staff let me into another room, a girl stepped out of the shower, and there was Marlon Lopez. It was two in the bloody morning.
“I told him to keep his party going – but to pack his bags and go home once he’d finished.”
Midfielder Lopez, 26, plays for Nicaraguan side Real Esteli.
Most Read In Football
Striker Chavarria, 25, is on the books of Iranian outfit Padideh – while 28-year-old defender Montenegro is with Costa Ricans Carmelita.
Nicaragua take on Haiti in Texas on Thursday before ending their group campaign against Bermuda in New Jersey next Monday.
They have lost all six of their previous Gold Cup fixtures after reaching the finals in 2009 and 2017.