Former South Carolina governor Mark Sanford is considering running against President Donald Trump for the Republican nomination for president in 2020, The Post and Courier reported on Tuesday.
Sanford, who was also a congressman before he was rejected in the GOP primaries last year at the urging of Trump, told the paper that he would take the next month to decide if he would enter the race against the president so that he can highlight the issues of the nation’s mounting debt, deficit and government spending.
“Sometimes in life you’ve got to say what you’ve got to say, whether there’s an audience or not for that message,” Sanford said. “I feel convicted.”
He said the “the Republican Party has lost its way on debt, spending and financial matters.”
Sanford has also been outspoken against the president regarding tariffs and offshore drilling, according to Roll Call.
Sanford said that he had been waiting to see if any other prominent Republicans, such as former Ohio Gov. John Kasich, would run against Trump.
If he did decide to enter the race, Sanford would face nearly impossible odds of victory, as polls show that 90 percent of Republicans back Trump, whose campaign has already raised massive amounts, according to The Hill.
In addition, the national party has taken steps to guarantee that potential challengers to the president from within the party cannot gain traction in the race.
© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.