CONJURE up the magic of summer with one wave of your shopping list.
From leafy herbs to asparagus spears, fill your plate with the best of the new season harvest.
From leafy herbs to asparagus spears, fill your plate with the best of the new season harvest[/caption]
Make the most of the home-grown goodness with these fresh British buys, and step into summer with some tasty recipes from Morrisons.com.
Asparagus and Herb Risotto
- 250g asparagus, cut into 2.5cm lengths
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves
- 350g Arborio rice
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs, e.g. parsley, mint, chives
- 25g Parmesan
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water for two to three minutes, drain and set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic in oil for three to four minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and thyme and cook for another minute.
- Add rice and stir into the hot oil.
- Pour in wine and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add a ladle of stock and stir until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Continue like this until it’s finished and rice is tender.
- You may not need to use all the liquid.
- Stir in asparagus and herbs and season before spooning into bowls.
- Use a potato peeler to shave Parmesan over the risotto and serve.
Jersey Royal and Chorizo Traybake
Prepare ahead: Clean the potatoes but don’t peel them as most of the vitamins, minerals and fibre are on the skin. Outside Jersey Royal season, try new potatoes instead.
- 500g Jersey Royals, halved
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp tomato puree; 1 dusting paprika, to taste
- 100g chorizo ring, thickly sliced
- 1 handful black olives, halved; 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6
- Place the potatoes, pepper and onions in a bowl and toss with the tomato puree and paprika seasoning
- Season, transfer to a large baking tray and bake for 15 minutes
- Add the chorizo, olives and tomatoes and drizzle with the oil
- Continue to bake for another ten minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley to serve.
MOST READ IN MONEY
Jersey Royal, Prawn and Asparagus Sald
- 600g Jersey Royals, scrubbed and halved
- 150g fresh asparagus, trimmed and halved
- 70g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly slice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 320g cooked king prawns
- 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, to dress
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the pan.
- While the potatoes are cooking, bring another pan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the asparagus and frozen peas and cook for two minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook over a gentle heat for five minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add the cooked Jersey Royals, asparagus and peas along with the prawns to the pan.
- Toss well and cook for two to three minutes until piping hot.
- Divide between four serving plates.
- Whisk together the sweet chilli sauce, lemon juice and mayonnaise and drizzle over.
- GOT a story? RING 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org