THE parents of Harry Dunn have said they are “in a living hell” as they are frustrated that the Crown Prosecution Service has yet to make a decision in if they will charge the US suspect in their son’s death.
Tim Dunn and Charlotte Charles‘s son died in head-on collision outside RAF Croughton on August 27.
Harry Dunn died when he was hit by a car driven on the wrong side of the road by a US spy’s wife[/caption]
Harry Dunn’s parents have said they are ‘on their knees’ waiting for a charging decision[/caption]
Anne Sacoolas, the wife of an American intelligence officer, is believed to have been driving on the wrong side of the road when she hit the 19-year-old lad’s motorbike.
Mrs Sacoolas, 42, claimed diplomatic immunity after the incident and fled to the US, sparking an international controversy.
Northamptonshire Police – who were not told Mrs Sacoolas had left the UK – handed a file of evidence to the CPS earlier this month after they conducted an interview with the American in the US.
Harry’s family said they were “strongly” led to believe a charging decision would be made this week following discussions between their spokesman Radd Seiger and Chief Constable Nick Adderley.
But in a statement released on Friday, Harry’s parents said the Chief Constable had told Mr Seiger there had been no decision and that a timeline of when to expect one had not been set out.
‘A LIVING HELL’
The parents said: “We are absolutely on our knees as a set of parents and a family.
“We lost our beautiful boy almost 12 weeks ago and the authorities are making our lives a living hell.”
The CPS said in a statement: “We fully understand how difficult this must be for Harry Dunn’s family, and the CPS is doing everything possible to reach a charging decision as soon as we can.
“Unfortunately, we are unable to tell the family how long that will take. Each case is different, and the CPS has a duty to carefully consider all the available information, in order to make an independent and objective decision.”
It comes as the government has been branded “disgusting” for threatening to “bankrupt” the family of Harry Dunn over a court fight.
Charlotte and Tim are launching legal action against the Foreign Office for its advice to Northamptonshire Police in the granting of diplomatic immunity to Mrs Sacoolas.
The US spy’s wife fled Britain and is now hiding from justice in America – using the immunity – after knocking down and killing Harry, 19, while driving on the wrong side of the road.
Charlotte and Tim claim Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab was “wrong in law” – but the Foreign Office has now said it would “seek costs” for any judicial review brought against it.
Mr Seiger told The Sun on Tuesday: “It is disgusting, gross and unbelievable. Who is advising Dominic Raab? They are morons on the run.
“If the family pursue this and lose, they are effectively going to bankrupt them.
“These people (Charlotte and Tim) have no money. Dad’s a maintenance man and mum’s a GP receptionist. They live hand to mouth.
“When the government comes out and threatens like this, you can see it does not help. But it makes the family even more angry and stiffens their resolve.”
Sacoolas, 42, hit Harry with her Volvo SUV outside US spy station RAF Croughton, in Northamptonshire, after driving on the wrong side of the road on August 27.
She co-operated with police at the scene – before fleeing to America.
Charlotte and Tim turned down the chance to meet with Sacoolas last month, after US President Donald Trump brought both parties to the White House.
Mr Seiger is now back in the US trying to pressure Sacoolas into returning, but the tragic saga is taking a huge toll on the Dunn family.
He said: “Charlotte has not been well enough to travel on this trip – she is too fragile. Tim and his wife Tracey have been on edge. These people’s nerves are completely frayed.
“But they’ve picked a fight with the wrong family. We will now be going to court.”
MOST READ IN UK NEWS
Emily Thornberry, Shadow Foreign Secretary, said yesterday that she had written a letter to Mr Raab to say it “beggars belief” that he would threaten the family with costs.
She urged Mr Raab to “reverse this decision”.
The FCO have been contacted for comment.
Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn claim Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab was ‘wrong in law’[/caption]
Emily Thornberry has said it is ‘beggars belief’ that Mr Raab would threaten the family with costs[/caption]