WHETHER it’s following the tales of the Gruffalo or boy wizard Harry Potter, there are some amazing kids’ stories to devour.
And you could get some of the best through our Books For Schools campaign with HarperCollins, which gives primary schools in England, Wales and Northern Ireland a chance to bag a FREE pack of more than 100 Collins Big Cat titles worth more than £600.
Why not Stick around to take our book quiz for kids?[/caption]
We are aiming to instil a love of books in children everywhere.
For youngsters already into books, test their knowledge with this fun quiz by Caroline Iggulden.
Take the book quiz
Ignore him, it’s the Grinch[/caption]
- What’s the name of the Darling family’s dog in JM Barrie’s classic tale Peter Pan?
- In the picture book The Gruffalo, the mouse threatens to turn the monster into what tasty dish to eat?
- What top-secret sweet did Willy Wonka use to test the trustworthiness of the children visiting his chocolate factory?
- In the Charlie And Lola books by Lauren Child, what is Lola’s favourite drink?
- What is the name of Horrid Henry’s brother?
- What very non-magical occupation do Hermione Granger’s parents do, as revealed in the first instalment of the Harry Potter series?
- What did The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle, eat on Monday?
- What birds are used instead of mallets when Alice is playing croquet with the Queen of Hearts in Alice In Wonderland?
- What is the name of the fictional island that Katie Morag lives on in the series of books by Mairi Hedderwick?
- In Dear Zoo, by Rod Campbell, which animal was “too grumpy?”
- What’s the nickname of the children’s home where Tracy Beaker lives in Jacqueline Wilson’s books?
- What type of mythical creature is Mr Tumnus – played by James McAvoy on the big screen – in The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe?
- In the first Alex Rider novel Stormbreaker, by Anthony Horowitz, what is a “Stormbreaker”?
- What mode of transport does Lee Scoresby use in the fantasy book The Northern Lights?
- What is the name of the piglet raised by Fern Arable in the tale Charlotte’s Web?
- In How The Grinch Stole Christmas, where does the mean-spirited title character live?
- What is the real name of the character Mr Stink in the book of the same name by comedian and TV star David Walliams?
- Which member of the Royal Family penned the children’s tale The Old Man Of Lochnagar?
- How did Stick Man come to be separated from his family in the Julia Donaldson book?
- What is the name of the teacher who inspires and looks after Matilda in Roald Dahl’s book?
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to check your answers
Find out more
1. Get your school to register at thesun.co.uk/booksforschools by Friday, November 22, 2019. Only schools can register, so encourage yours to sign up
2. Help your school collect 3,500 tokens from The Sun and The Sun on Sunday between Saturday, November 23, 2019, and Saturday, January 18, 2020
3. Once your school has 3,500 tokens, they will need to return them by Saturday, February 8, 2020
4. Your school will receive the books in March 2020
HOW BIG A BOOK WORM ARE YOU? HERE ARE THE ANSWERS
2. Gruffalo crumble;
3. An everlasting gobstopper;
4. Pink milk;
5. Perfect Peter;
7. One apple;
9. The Isle of Struay;
10. The camel;
11. The Dumping Ground;
12. A faun;
13. A computer;
14. A hot air balloon;
16. Mount Crumpit;
17. Lord Darlington;
18. Prince Charles;
19. A dog wanted to play fetch with him;
20. Miss Honey.
SCORE: 1-5: You are Mr and Mrs Twit. You’ve been duped and have ended up stuck upside-down, glued to the floor.
SCORE: 6-10: You are Augustus Gloop. You visit the best chocolate factory in the world, but land in the brown stuff.
SCORE: 11-15: You are Alice. You have negotiated your way round the tricky Wonderland but still have a way to go.
SCORE: 16-20: You are Dumbledore. Wise and worldly, you have probably read as many books as the Hogwarts head.
MOST READ IN NEWS
T&Cs apply. Online registration required. Multiple token collect. For full T&Cs see thesun.co.uk/booksforschools.
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com