APPLE has revealed its top iPhone game for 2019 – Sky: Children of the Light.
The indie adventure trumped seriously stiff competition, including Nintendo’s immensely popular Mario Kart Tour.
Sky: Children of the Light launched for iOS on July 18, 2019 to widespread critical acclaim.
Players are thrown into a magical kingdom armed with a cape that lets them fly.
Their journey takes them through seven unique realms, each themed around different stages of life.
Players unlock cosmetic upgrades and upgrades by earning and in-game currency.
And tracking down ‘fallen stars’ lets the player improve their cape, for flying further.
What’s unique about Sky: Children of the Light is that it’s a “social” adventure game.
During gameplay, players can meet each other and grow friendships – unlocking new abilities along the way.
It was nominated for Mobile Game of the Year at the 2019 Golden Joystick Awards, and for Best Mobile Game at The Game Awards 2019.
And it bagged top prize at Apple’s first ‘Best Of 2019’ awards event, held in New York City.
The top games are selected by Apple’s team of in-house App Store editors.
That means the prize isn’t simply based on download numbers, but experienced eyes who spend all their days testing apps.
Apple's App Store – a brief history
Here's what you need to know…
- The App Store is Apple’s iconic platform for distributing apps on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- It lets users browse and download apps for their gadgets – some free, some paid-for
- Although the original iPhone was released in June 2007, the App Store didn’t open until July 2008
- There were just 500 apps at launch – today there are more than 2million
- Apple redesigned the App Store with iOS 11 in September 2017
- This introduced more focus on daily highlights, as well as recommendations, guides and interviews from Apple’s in-house app teams
- Anyone can create apps and submit them to the App Store
- However, Apple reviews and approves all apps
- Apple reveals the most popular apps and games on the App Store in December each year
- For 2019, the most popular free app was WhatsApp, and the most popular free game was Mario Kart Tour
Sky: Children of the Light was created by Thatgamecompany, which may be an unfamiliar name to many gamers.
But the studio was responsible for PlayStation 3 mega-hit Journey, released in 2012.
Journey was notable for its dynamic music, which responded to a player’s actions throughout the game.
It was also responsible for earlier hit PS3 game Flower, released back in 2009.
The player controlled the wind, blowing a flower petal through the air.
It was a simple concept, but the attractive visuals and subtle narrative made it an instant hit.
Sky: Children of the Light’s developers say the game will be “ever-expanding” with new attractions coming soon.
This includes seasonal events an an “expansion of realms”.
The game is completely free to download, and you can get it below:
- Sky: Children of the Light at App Store for £0.00 – download here
MOST READ IN TECH
In other news, a tech blogger has revealed the possible design for next year’s iPhone 12.
If you’re looking for a handset you can actually get your hands on, check out our iPhone 11 review.
And for those with more money to burn, take a look at our iPhone 11 Pro review.
What’s your favourite iPhone game of the year? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org