Married Couple Left Paralysed After Eating Canned Green Beans That ‘smelled Off’

48

A GERMAN couple were left paralysed and spent five months seriously ill in hospital – after eating a can of green beans.

The pair were unlucky enough to catch botulism – a powerful toxin which if left untreated can cause paralysis – from the beans, which their son had refused to eat because they smelled ‘off.’

Photonica – Getty Canned green beans nearly killed the couple, who spent months in hospital recovering

Doctors near the town of Leipzig went public with the case to raise awareness of the rare toxin, with just 10 reported cases of botulism recorded in the country each year.

The 47-year-old woman was struggling even to speak when she sought help at the hospital, and had been suffering from dizziness, double vision and drooping eyelids.

Despite scans not finding anything to explain her symptoms, the woman’s condition continued to worsen and she became paralysed from the neck down.

She was hooked up to a life support machine – but just a day later, her 51-year-old husband presented at the hospital with similar symptoms.

Doctors at Universitätsklinikum Hall hospital in Germany couldn’t work out what was causing their symptoms




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

WhatsApp chat